Friday, February 15, 2008

Guess this is February blahs

Let me see what changed since January - we have colder weather, more snow and we're very busy at work. The computers at the office are having hissy fits and it slows down the whole process. So our very first stat holiday in February and we'll have to work at least part of the long weekend. Everybody at work is sick with the flu or a cold or something. Couple of people are in really rough shape, and since we're already shorthanded it doesn't bode well for the rest of us. But they are very ill. Oh, and the shingles are still with me - 17 weeks and counting - stronger than ever. Talk about staying power!

February has got to be the very worst month in the entire year, notwithstanding the fact that it's shorter than most, and that we have a new holiday (Louis Riel Day for those of us dwelling in MB). It's also the coldest.

How would I ever be able to blog if I couldn't talk about the weather? Truth be told, we rather take certain masochistic pride in our weather - it's a kind of 'we're-colder-than-you-are' type of thing. With all due respect to Mr. Gore and the scientists of this world - where is global warming when you really need it? We have managed to get all the way down to -53°C/-63.4°F so far and we're still in deep freeze.

I have downloaded a podcast to my iPod - it's called LSAT Logic in Everyday Life. I need to learn a lot more about it, but so far it seems interesting. I'm trying to get into critical thinking, which I understand is mighty rare in our world these days. I have noticed that I haven't mastered that little life-skill either, so I thought I'd start with logic and see where that leads me. Kind of late in life, but hey, it's a start. I need to curb my tendency to overreact. Sometimes it's a good thing to blow up and get things off one's chest, but those occasions should be few and far between.

That brings me to technology - ain't it wonderful? So much information from a relatively cheap machine. It's totally awesome! My first set of Encyclopedia Britanica, 40 some years ago, was a lot more expensive than today's computers and didn't have the ability to update the information in it without buying new volumes. You've got to be impressed by that! Cheers to the brainiacs of this world who made all this possible.

No comments: