Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bah, hambug!

I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself. These darned shingles are not going anywhere, they're into their seventh week, and Christmas is speeding towards us at supersonic speed. In the meantime the Christmas cards are not writing themselves, the baking isn't getting done, nor is the shopping. I guess in a couple of weeks I can stop worrying about the whole shebang.
OK, this year it's shingles, but really, every year Christmas catches me as if I didn't know it was coming. What's up with that? Why can't I start in September and carry on from there? Better still, start preparing in January when everything is on sale and I can get some super savings on Christmas gifts? And it's not like I don't have the cards 11 months ahead of time. I always buy them on January 2nd.
Baking...... OK, I could do it in August - it's hot already what difference will a couple of hours of hot oven make?
Cleaning the house..... I guess in order to do that I really did have to take down last year's tree in April (just kiddin'), but still - how much mess can two adults and couple of dogs make? I swear somebody moves in here when we're at work and does all this damage.
And what happened to the "I will sort out the Christmas decorations throughout the year when I have time" promise I made myself every year since time immemorial? How long would it take in July? Couple of weeks? Maybe a whole month at the most?
So why didn't I do it?
Does there have to be this chaos every year? I guess I really do my best work under pressure.
Now, next year..........

No comments: